[ale] Non-destructive conversion from ext2 to reiser?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 21 06:41:08 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 03:55, William Wylde wrote:
> Anybody know a way to non-destructively convert an ext2fs to reiserfs?
> I've already upgraded all of my disks/partitions except those mounted on
> /home- but I'd really like to have the speed and realiability of reiserfs
> on those disks as well.
>
> Hopefully, this is somewhat on-topic...  ;-)

Mondo supports conversions from one file type to another. You back up in
ext2fs, then restore to a ReiserFS partition. I've only backed up and
restored, I have not changed partition formats or partition sizes - so take
it for what it's worth.

Check http://www.mondorescue.org/download/1.6x-howto-restoretips.html
Look for section 9.2.4, it goes into it a little bit.

Before doing that, I'd join the mailing list and ask one of the developers a
little more about how to do it on your system.