[ale] (OT) NT data recovery

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Apr 20 19:02:16 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:

> > From: "Preston Boyington" <PBoyington at polyengineering.com>
> > Date: 2004/04/20 Tue PM 06:16:07 EDT
> > To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts (E-mail)" <ale at ale.org>
> > Subject: [ale] (OT) NT data recovery
> >
> > i know some people that are looking for someone to do data recovery on
> > one of their servers.  from speaking to them briefly, there are six
> > drives in a RAID array and the unit is almost assuredly NT based.
> > basically the unit will boot but it won't see the other disks.
> > apparently the controller card has tested "good" so they believe it to
> > be a hard disk issue.
> >
> > can someone recommend a data recovery service for me to suggest?  i
> > would like to throw something to ALE members if possible.
> >
> > preston
>
> There are a couple Knoppix-based distros out that are geared towards
> data recovery and forensics. Local Area Security (I LIKE that one!),
> Penguin Sleuth Kit and Knoppix-STD. All cool tools to mess with.

It doesn't sound like NTFS filesystem is the problem, but if it is linux
may not be the best choice, since NTFS -- not being well documented -- is
not well supported in Linux.

If the problem is hardware, a little forensics with something like Knoppix
would be a very good start.

Sorry I can't recomend a particular service. It's not my area of
expertise, but I have delt with some simmilar issues so if they are
looking for someone to tell them what's going on or take a look at it or
do a little diagnosis and research data recovery services, they can feel
free to e-mail me.

	bjorn