[ale] diagnosis

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 19 21:56:00 EDT 2004

David Corbin wrote:
> On Monday 19 April 2004 11:56, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Dow Hurst wrote:
>>
>>>How can we find the process that is soaking the memory?  How do you
>>>manipulate /proc to find out the originating process that owns the
>>>memory being used?  I know IRIX had tools to look at memory and see
>>>which processes owned what part of memory.  Does Linux?

What a great example of how Windows and Linux are different.  It does
not surprise me that Windows 'hides' info from you. :)  Linux on the
other hand does not.  You can get a look at every process that is using
memory.

I'd take the suggestion of another poster (sorry, I forgot who that
was), use a known good version of statically linked top to see what's
going on and compare that to the version running on the box.