[ale] diagnosis

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Apr 19 15:02:09 EDT 2004

If it is a cracked machine, running a statically linked top from a CD
will gain access to the real top data. Top is a common binary to fiddle
with with a root kit.

It is certainly possible to _add_ a module or _remove_ a module, but
change out the kernel with out a reboot (unless 2-kernel-monte is
available, I have not been able to find this :(  ). So the actual data
stream for top is not tamper-able easily. Thus a known good
statically-linked top would give access to the running system and show
the _real_ processes that are running.

If top shows no malicious files, it's time to take some snapshots over
time to plot which app is failing.

#!/bin/sh
echo date >> /tmp/top.txt
top -b -n 1 -c >> /tmp/top.txt
echo "###############" >>/tmp/top.txt
echo >>/tmp/top.txt
echo >>/tmp/top.txt

Run as a cron every minute for an hour.

If you want, you can now mash/mangle the data into a nice plot using
some perl and gnplot (or a spreadsheet).

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>