[ale] (no subject) SPAM talk...

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 19 13:43:41 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:23:32PM -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> I am not a programmer, but isn't it possible to reduce
> <name at mydomain.whatever> to <name> (that is erase everything
> beginning with the @ symbol from the FROM: line of the headers)
> in the archives?  That way the curious could search the
> archive for a topic and if they have unanswered questions, they
> could pose a question to the list.
> Example:
>   "Three months back Geoffrey explained foo, but I still have
>    a question about bar."

The problem with this approach is that the curious user would have to
subscribe to ALE first to be able to post their question.  Personally,
if I were searching for a solution to a particular problem, and I had to
subscribe to a mailing list just to ask for clarification, I would
search elsewhere first.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9