[ale] email aliases and wildcards

Jason Etheridge phasefx at magusaptus.com
Fri Apr 9 08:41:02 EDT 2004

On Apr 9, 2004, at 8:07 AM, Fulton Green wrote:
> My host uses Exim, which has the ability to analyze an incoming address
> against a Perl-compatible regular expression (PCRE) and take various
> actions on it, depending on how Exim is configured at the sysadmin
> level.

Ah ha. :D  Found something in Exim that should work:

"Heavy email users often want to operate with multiple mailboxes, into
which incoming mail is automatically sorted. A popular way of handling
this is to allow users to use multiple sender addresses, so that
replies can easily be identified. Users are permitted to add prefixes
or suffixes to their local parts for this purpose. The wildcard
facility of the generic router options local_part_prefix and
local_part_suffix can be used for this. For example, consider this
router:

??userforward:
??  driver = redirect
??  check_local_user
??  file = $home/.forward
??  local_part_suffix = -*
??  local_part_suffix_optional
??  allow_filter

It runs a user's .forward file for all local parts of the form
*username-**. Within the filter file the user can distinguish different
cases by testing the variable $local_part_suffix. For example:

??if $local_part_suffix contains -special then
??  save /home/$local_part/Mail/special
??endif

If the filter file does not exist, or does not deal with such
addresses, they fall through to subsequent routers, and, assuming no
subsequent use of the local_part_suffix option is made, they presumably
fail. Thus, users have control over which suffixes are valid."

I'm going to see if I can find the equivalent in postfix, so I don't
have to migrate spamassassin over to exim.

Thanks!

-- Jason