[ale] OT: java filereader question

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Thu Apr 8 21:28:19 EDT 2004

Sun's 1.4.1_02, and your suggestion is *exactly* what I'm trying.  I even
backed off and just tried to do
FileReader fr = new FileReader("file1");

and then I took out *all* of my code except where I instantiate the
FileReader inside the method...still I'm getting:
unreported exception java.io.FileNotFoundException; must be caught or
declared to be thrown
      FileReader fr = new FileReader("file1");
                      ^

This is the skeleton of the code I'm using...FileReader works fine inside
of main...there is definitely something major I'm missing here...
-----
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class mergesort
{
  public static void main(String[] args) throws java.io.IOException
  {
    /*--snip---*/
    doMergeSort(1,0,100);
  }

  public static void doMergeSort(int blsize, int fileset, double filesize)
  {
    if (blocksize < filesize/4)
    {
      FileReader fr = new FileReader("file1");
    }
  }
}

Thanks very much for looking at this...I'm afraid Java is still more than
a little bit of black magic to me right now.

jenn

--
Jenn Taylor
jtaylor at onlinea.com

Obviously, a man's judgement cannot be better than the information on which he
has based it.  Give him the truth and he may still go wrong when he has
the chance to be right, but give him no news or present him only with distorted
and incomplete data, with ignorant, sloppy or biased reporting, with propaganda
and deliberate falsehoods, and you destroy his whole reasoning processes, and
make him something less than a man.
-- Arthur Hays Sulzberger