[ale] Internet connection question

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Wed Apr 7 17:20:31 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 April 2004 12:08 pm, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> >> On Wednesday 07 April 2004 11:31 am, Walter Sams wrote: | IE   I
> >> want all email to be seen as comming from  myname at mycompany.com, |
> >> but my isp mail server is mail.joesmuck.net  and my user for the
> >> isp | account is dummy at joesmuck.net
> >>
> >> Walter, This tip probably won't help much, but kmail can be easily
> >> configured to accept more than one "identity" --
> >> myname at mycompany.com  That string value will be inserted into the
> >> headers on the "From:" line.

> >> You will note that this message is "From" drifter at oppositelock.org"
> >>  even though my isp is Speakeasy.
> >

> > Walter, did you try the above solution?  This is what I've been doing
> > and never had a problem.  Someone replied that it might cause
> > trouble, but I haven't ever had any.  You might try it before you go
> > too far down the raod of getting a new ISP.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing what the headers look like.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey                     Registered Linux User #108567
> Building secure systems in spite of Microsoft

I use sendmail to rewrite my from address.

The only problems that I encountered came from directly sending mail.
( Mail from customer IP address blocks from dsl/cable/dial-up providers
are often rejected as SPAM)

Using my ISPs smtp server as a mail relay solved the problem.

I also use  external email hosting - for ca 30$/per year for max 50 user or
250 MByte (godaddy.com) I can avoid an open TCP port that I have to worry
about ;-)

	Stephan