[ale] Libranet questions

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 14:11:55 EDT 2004

If you're new to Linux, you may want to see if Webmin works well under
Libranet, as I have found it to be an invaluable tool for administering
server functionality for several other distributions, might work well for
you and has remote web-based management and SSL security built in.

I have a Promise Fastrack 100TX2 RAID card and it offers POOR support for
RAID and drivers for Linux.  I believe this applies to all linux
distro's.  I have done my own research on the topic and have decided to
bite the bullet and go with the 3Ware Escalade 7006-2 IDE Raid Controller
for true hardware RAID and excellent Linux support.

I will not use anything from Promise in any Linux systems of mine due to
their poor support of Linux.  Besides, the Promise chipsets are kinda
like Winmodems that borrow mainboard system resources and don't even have
their own controllers on-board.  For that reason, they only have the RAID
performance of software RAID.  I want BIOS level hardware RAID for any
mission critical data and you might re-think that as well.

Best of luck, hope my opinions and observations helped in making and
informed decision.

Kind Regards,

BC