[ale] minimalist package manager

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Apr 5 12:13:11 EDT 2004

Stephen Turner wrote:
: hey guys, ive been outta the loop for a little bit but was planning on
: getting a sweet little laptop :D i was gonna slap a linux on
: it but wanted
: one similar to gentoos portage except gentoo has a habbit of
: installing a "base" package of many programs. most of which i never
: use or
: atleast to
: my knowledge never use. in portage i set the optimizations
: and utilities i
: wish to be linked/ work with everything or select ones i dont
: wish to be
: used. such as perl and audio drivers. is there such a package
: manager? a true minimalist package manager that does optimizations? im
: wanting it to
: support the auto update like apt-get does, one command updates all
: installed packages. if such a tool exists i would much
: appreciate a link
: or name :) thanks guys.
:

the base Debian system takes slightly less than 20MB of disk space while the "standard" install is probably around 200MB. (numbers based on current Debian Stable "Woody" from Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux)

most of my systems are in the 400MB range, but i tend to install a couple of browsers/email clients/audio players, etc. that are not really necessary.

install the base system and "apt-get" what you want/need.  that way you will have control over what is on your system.

dunno if there is anything for a gentoo system since i don't use it.

preston