[ale] aic7xxx driver in Debian

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Mon Apr 5 03:32:24 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:48:56PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Even when not doing much, the 2.6 kernel on my new 512MB amd64 laptop
> grabs a very large proportion of its RAM after having been booted a
> little while, apparently just because it can.  No longer do Linux
> kernels really try to allocate as little RAM as possible, as though
> someone's going to come by and pull a DIMM out of a slot any second.
>
> If you fire up top, hit capital-M to make it sort by memory, and you
> don't see a bunch of processes taking or adding up to large percentages
> of RAM, then you're cool.
>
> On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 14:14, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Top is the best I know for observing memory usage.

Well top wasn't showing anything using a large portion of memory. Right
now XFree is hitting 5%. I haven't upgraded the kernel recently. Ran
apt-get update and upgrade again and the system has stayed up over 24
hrs without crapping out on me. Maybe the offending package has been
upgraded again. Since I do not keep a record myself is there something
in Debian that keeps track of updates that can be sorted by date and
time.

Thanks All,

Jim