[ale] Laptop Scroll Pad

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 10:58:54 EST 2004

I have an eMachines M6805 laptop - one of the new AMD64 ones.  It's running 64-bit Gentoo and it has a touchpad with a vertical scroll pad to the right of it.

If I boot this laptop to a Knoppix CD, tapping the touch pad once or twice works like mouse clicks and the scroll pad works as one would expect.  Booted to Gentoo, none of these features work.  The scroll pad just makes the cursor track up and down.

I've tried splicing parts of the Knoppix XF86Config into Gentoo's (I thought that SendCoreEvents might have something to do with it) to no avail.  Also, Knoppix boots a 2.4 kernel whereas Gentoo boots a 2.6 kernel and I can't find anything in this particular 2.6 menuconfig that looks like it might enable these features.

Any generalities I might be missing?

- Jeff