[ale] Speed comparison

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Apr 1 09:02:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Marvin Dickens wrote:

> > > It does not, the P4s, especially the celerons are dogs.  I have a 1.8 GHz
> > > celeron and I swear my 800 MHz Athlon runs rings around it.
> > > I've been underwhelmed by the p4 since there were introduced.  Any
> > > processor that is slower per clock tick than the previous generation has
> > > something dreadfully wrong.  If you must do P4, get a real one, not the
> > > celeron.
> >
> > Thanks.  It looks as if I'll be skipping the system due to the Intel
> > tax.  The XP must be better.
>
> FWIW, I always go with AMD. The only disadvantage I know of is that
> AMD processors are destroyed in the event of an unnoticed CPU fan failure
> occurs. OTOH, the Intel chips automatically shut themselves down when a fan
> failure occurs and the temperature rises too high.
>
> I remedy this problem by monitoring the temp of the chip (Via ACPI...) and
> when the temp rises to a preset value (This value is below the temperature
> that would damage the chip), a script sends me an email. If I miss
> the email and the temperature continues to rise, the script shuts the machine
> down once a higher preset temp is reached (Still below any temperature that
> can damage the chip. I have not lost a single machine using this script in 4
> years. Although, I've lost a couple of CPU fans...).

Scarry. I think my bios offers such features (although I'm sure shutdown
isn't super graceful...). What temperatures do you use as your warning and
shutdown? What do you consider a safe temp for an AMD processor? (I've got
an AMD 1735MHz, I think that's a 2100+)

maybe you could post your script? I'm sure it would be easy enough to
reproduce, but rather than reinvent the wheel......

thanks for your comments.

	bjorn