[ale] Access Point honey pots

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.org
Tue Sep 30 01:30:50 EDT 2003

synco gibraldter wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2003 at 22:05, Christopher Fowler wrote:
>

>>I think I remeber a software package that created multiple access
>>points on a wireless card to foil would be hackers. Is there such a
>>beast?
>

> what kind of foiling are we talkin bout?  i assume you're talking about wep?  the best
> way to avoid your wlan being hacked is to not trust wep at ALL... it's a serious piece,
> man.  do a vpn-ish setup or something... even if they find it, it's 'safe' by reasonable
> standards (where as wep as a joke).  of course masking it in with a lot of ap's
> couldn't hurt, but even if i had a million fake wep-secured wlans, i wouldn't trust my
> real one in the midst of them all.
>
> --    synco gibraldter
> --    atlanta, ga
> --    synco at xodarap.net
> --    key id: 0xC5117E0A

Not to mention, what could a honeypot do in this case? At the most, it's
simply security through obscurity. Think about it--you can't even block
them from trying again. You could easily autoblock MAC addresses, but
those are easy to spoof. It would be trivial to write a script that
scans for APs, telnets to port 80 on a known webserver, and if it fails,
change the MAC address and try again.

-----
Stephen Touset <stephen at touset.org>