[ale] wireless cards

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 29 10:42:19 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:49:05PM -0400 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> >Here is the problem with the WPC11.  It may not be Prism2.  I was
> >lucky and purchased one before they began using other chipsets.
>
> Further research I've found references to a version 4 card, but these
> all indicate this card is a Realtek 8180, whereas 'cardctl ident'
> reports it as a Realtek Rt18139.  I think I may have a door stop here...

Geof,

I had this same problem.  Got bit by the ver. 3 ==> ver. 4 wpc11
chipset change problem.  (Why don't the manufacturers roll the part
number on changes like this??  NetGear did the same sort of thing
with their card I think.)  The newer card has a linux driver, but I
don't know whether all the features are supported and function yet.
There's a linux driver on the realtek site, but I don't have the url
anymore.

I decided to take the wpc11 back and exchange it on a prism2 card.  I
chose the Hawking we110p  I think it was.  Seems well supported so
far.

David S. Jackson                                dsj at dsj.net