[list] [ale] Need advice on home back-up solution

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Sep 28 17:35:43 EDT 2003

> > I just take one off to the safe deposit box periodically.
>
> And go buy another drive?

I have two that I rotate between the box and use at home.

> > I have a backup for 2 reasons: 1 Hard drives fail (often, compared to
> > other computer components) and true disaster (house burns down).  I
> > don't need a backup of anything more than a day old.  Two disks meet
> > this needs.
>
> Not a business solution then?

No.  And the original poster, did not ask for a business solution, but a home
solution.  (check the subject)

> > Tapes are not really very good long-term storage.  I often run into
> > trouble trying to read a tape that wasn't "just written".
>
> Define 'just written'?

Anything older than a week, is not "just written".  Mind you, this is over the
course of many years of working with tapes, but not recently.  And I'm not
saying the majority, just that it happens often enough.

--
David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>