[list] [ale] Need advice on home back-up solution

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 28 11:35:07 EDT 2003

Since the $/GB factor seems in many respects to favor hard drives, why don't
you install a removable hard drive bay and buy another HD ?  That is what I
did for a friend recently.  I installed 2 hard drives in a software RAID
mirror configuration.  When he leaves for the weekend, he powers down the
file server, takes out the 2nd HD and places it into a fire proof safe.  The
removable hard drive bays are about $15 to $35 in cost.  They use a key to
lock down the HD upon insertion.  The solution seems to fulfill all of his
needs, which seem to reflect yours.

HTH,

Greg