[ale] Need advice on home back-up solution

Bill Hamilton bhamilto at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 26 21:31:33 EDT 2003

I have a RedHat 9 GNU/Linux system with a new 80GB hard drive and
several Windows 98SE/2000/XP machines at home in which I need to
automatically backup user created information.  This inludes Microsoft
office files, digital pictures (scattered throughout the hard drive),
browser favorites and web autofill forms (RoboForm or something like
that...my wife depends on it...I don't know).

I need a solution (probably made up of OpenSource/Free Software and
cmd/batch/windows scripting scripts) where each of my various Microsoft
based operating systems routinely backup user created information to an
ftp or smb server (GNU/Linux box listed above).  I do not have a tape
drive on each machine nor a CD Burner (however the newest upstairs Sony
Viao does have a DVD-R/RW burner so I could weekly pull these archives
off of the Linux server and burn to DVD as long as these archives are
less than 4.7GB each).  I do have a spare 17GB hard drive and I was
thinking of putting this also in the GNU/Linux box as a mirrored
partition just in case...probably a good idea before I go too far down
the road doing work on this fresh install of RH9.

What does the ALE crowd recommend?

At work we use Connected TLM network backup software and that seems to
work very well.  I can open it's app and restore with ease but this kind
of use would be icing on the cake.

Other icing or advanced needs would be:

1.  Not have to go to each machine and manually start a backup
2.  Because we don't store everything in a c:\data folder then what I
choose should not only pick-up "My Documents", "My Pictures" "RoboForm
Data" but also by filename or filename extension on the hard drive.
3.  Actually be a (web based) document management system.
4.  Notify me of duplicate files.

I'm pretty adept with winzip command line and windows batch file writing
so I could hack out a generic series of scripts that should work on each
machine to create and transmit zips up to the server but I would like
for these files to be unzipped up on the GNU/Linux box.

Any suggestion welcome...

-Bill Hamilton