[ale] Hotplug usage

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 26 10:28:20 EDT 2003

Sure. You'll need to recompile your kernel. So all the kernel docs that
tell you how to do that are used.

The specific area you need to activate is the scsi section that says
"Probe all LUNs".

If you want to use a stock kernel.rpm from RedHat, you will need to get
the kernel.src.rpm, modify the spec file to add the "probe all LUNs"
feature. I have never used a stock kernel for anything but the initial
install and as a backup kernel to boot in the event something breaks. I
can't tell you how to modify the spec file to do this in an rpm as the
spec files for kernels are the most complicated mess I've ever seen. It
makes Sendmail look easy :)

I would recommend getting a raw kernel tarball from kernel.org and using
the .config from your running kernel. You can find in /boot. It will be
called config-<version>. Copy that into the /usr/src/linux-<new-version>
directory as .config then run `make oldconfig` and take the default for
anything it asks. Then run make xconfig or menuconfig to set the LUNs
parameter. Then its the usual make dep && make bzImage && make modules
&& make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage
/boot/kernel-<version>-<personal identifier> && vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
and add the new kernel to the boot choices and reboot.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>