[ale] linux and apples

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Sep 23 13:22:51 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 11:26, aaron wrote:

> Apple supported Open Source Xwindows layer working, too. OSeX is
> FreeBSD at heart, so the boxes are extremely stable, reliable and
> secure.

The misconception that OS X is FreeBSD with a pretty face is so widespread
that it's probably pointless for me to dispute it, but here goes...

OS X does not use the FreeBSD kernel. The kernel architecture of Mach is
drastically different and some would argue that it's better. It is no
more related to FreeBSD than Slackware. The userspace tools are "Unixy"
(in a cygwin kinda way) to be sure, but FreeBSD at heart it ain't. I
agree with all your other points.

--
Jonathan Rickman
Key ID: 0DF501FF