{Spam?} [ale] Dell laptop - recommendations?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Sep 23 11:22:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:58:39AM -0400, Josh Freeman wrote:
> witnessed it. In my office, we have about a dozen Dell laptops, and we
> have NEVER had anywhere near the degree of problems that many people
> seem to have with that particular platform. All the problems we seem to

I'm on my third Dell laptop in about as many years.

Latitude CPi    p2-266
Latitude CPiA   p2-400
Inspiron 4100   p3-1000

Running Linux exclusively, and powered up near 24/7....

All of the problems I've had were due to wear-and-tear; things like the
LCD hinges breaking a few months ago on my i4100.  (after ~1.5 years of
abuse too, I might add..)

The main difference between the inspiron and latitude lines is that the
latitude has a standard 3-year on-site warranty.  There are a few
consmetic difference, but the machines under the hood are identical.

For example, my i4100 has the Latitude c610 BIOS loaded up on it so I
can use the C/Dock that has an internal PCI slot.  :)

I'd happily recommend Dell laptops.  They use quality parts and don't
cheap out on the guts, unlike certian other outfits like HP/Compaq.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444