[ale] Up for 1 year

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 22 21:05:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 20:37, Transam wrote:

> You could have inserted a relay that switches fast (most relays switch
> faster than the 100-500 milliseconds that a PC power supply can tolerate
> the AC being interrupted.
>
> Then use the relay to switch from the first building's power to a
> charged up UPS plugged into the building.  Then unplug the UPS from
> the outlet.  Then wheel the UPS and system to the new building and
> reverse the process.

OK, ok, ok. Bear in mind that the two geeks on this both had full-time
graduate classes, plus teaching load, plus research work load and a very
finite amount of resources. Had we been able to get our hands on a UPS
with the battery capability to hold up the box for the 5-10 minutes it
took to walk it over to the other building, we could have inserted it
hot into the power cord. We had already mastered that. But we had no
UPS. We had power cords, plugs, a bunch of test equipment, but no power
inverter. If we had  had money, we could have bought a power inverter,
plugged it into a pair of small car batteries, hot jacked it into the PC
and walked it across that way (the poor mans UPS). Alas, the constraints
were too narrow on the project and the uptime ended somewhere around
600+ days. But not bad for a 0.99 kernel used daily by a grad student
experimenting with the box.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>