[ale] waaaaaay In Topic: outkast = RIAA

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 20 03:53:47 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 02:03, synco gibraldter wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2003 at 22:54, Kevin Karst wrote:
> >   Speaker Box is released by Arista, which is part of
> > the RIAA.  Do you care about that?
>
> in what respect would i?

I personally think everybody should boycott buying any CD's from any and
all RIAA affiliates.

Not that I'm against the artists making money off their work- far from
it- I'm an artist myself.

However, the RIAA (who's membership includes the same people who sued
John Fogerty for "plagarising" himself, when he made money off "Old Man
Goes Down the Road" in his post-Reprise-slave days), are intent on price
gouging from their overpriced CD's- maintaining a monopoly they (as a
group) have held over ALL the distribution markets for musical
entertainment which would make Bill Gates blush, and don't care what
they do to our freedoms as citizens in the process.

As I've stated before, I can see many non-invasive methods of selling
music online, and using the peer-to-peer network (with it's non-existent
overhead- a key to make independent artists equal to the big record
companies in terms of being able to distribute their works)- and I
really think it's important that any time anyone opposed to the RIAA and
the MPAA moves in the various legislatures should expound on such
alternatives if they actually appear before committees, etc.

I like Outkast, and have a friend who regularly plays in side-projects
from his own band (Whyld Peach- http://www.urbangrind.net/whildpeach/ )
with members of Outkast.  And I assure you, despite a contract with
Arista, they're on our side.

(,,oBo,,)         |           Wylde  Bill
http://lyst.org   |    wyldechylde at geocities.com

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my
relatives were carnival folk who were touring this place called
Hiroshima in the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair,
they mostly married each other.  And here I am." --The Oblongs

          Disempowering government means empowering people.
        http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/nlm/nlm.html