[ale] Last Gasp - New Economy?

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Thu Sep 18 10:49:49 EDT 2003

Wow, that's a great article.  Finally an enlightened b-school view on
coding. Maybe I just like it becuase it reeks of supply side thought
patterns :)

Also, he made the negative point with pets.com, and I think you could easly
expand that to show the positive side by calling out the successes of the
dot-com era, Amazon and eBay.  Amazon provides a lower cost, better
selection and for most people a better experience than actually going to the
bookstore.. eBay provides something that would be impossible in a
non-internet industrial age paradigm. (Can you imagine trying to browse, bid
or buy from ebay if it were a Telephone or snail mail based service? )

And last, only _you_ (Russ) will get this, but.. I would really have loved
to sit down with Joe and Jason to have a long talk about this exact
principle. I really tried selling Jason on zero-defect methodology at one
point.. Steve S. was an easy sell, Jason was impossible. It's all
hypothetical but, had we employeed a strategy simmilar to this for
iM:Workcenter, we might have been buying Vyrianet instead of it being the
other way 'round.

[F. Grant Robertson]

P.s. I still swear I'm going to frame my options certificates along with a
picture of Uncle Greenspan with his "irrational exuberence" quote. I've been
meaning to do it for ages.