[ale] Bind newbie question

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Sep 18 10:35:46 EDT 2003

synco gibraldter said:
> no... because you're checking the source that is holding that domain
> information... it
> will be instantly available through them.  what takes ~ 2 days is
> propagating your
> domain's primary dns server entry to lookup servers around the world.

Huh?  Ok. Here's the situation:

I have three domains: devsea.com, devsea.net and devsea.org all parked at
godaddy.com.  I additionally have control over devsea.com's zone file at
godaddy.

I modified devsea.com's zone file to also create an A record for
ns.devsea.com.  If you drop to a command line and check this, it seems to
have propogated to my name server here at work at least, because I can
ping and dig it *without* specifying a particular server in which to find
it.  Note: I'm *NOT* specifying godaddy's or my home's dns servers, just
allowing a query to resolve it by default.

Anyway, so ns.devsea.com is out there.  It's golden.  I also have the box
actually located at ns.devsea.com responding to queries for "devsea.net"
or "devsea.org".  Try it: dig @ns.devsea.com devsea.net

Ok, so at this point, I *should* be able to use ns.devsea.com as a
nameserver entry for other domains, including devsea.net and org.

I go to godaddy's site and modify nameserver records for *devsea.net*, and
add ns.devsea.com as primary. Quick check here....ns.devsea.com resolves
ok, it's returning to queries ok. All looks good.  Click submit...and get
"NS.DEVSEA.COM is not a registered domain server."

At a loss.  I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't see it from here.

Thanks for your help!

John