[ale] Bind newbie question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 18 09:18:31 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 08:35, John Wells wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I went ahead with GoDaddy's advanced DNS and modified the zone file for my
> devsea.com domain.  You should now be able to hit ns.devsea.com with a
> ping.  You should also be able to lookup devsea.net or devsea.org by:
>
> dig @ns.devsea.com devsea.net
>
> Now, however, when trying to switch devsea.org to use ns.devsea.com
> through their interface, I get: "NS.DEVSEA.COM is not a registered name
> server."
>
> Is there an additional step here that I'm missing?

Yep. Patience!  It takes 24-48 hours for the changes to take effect with
GoDaddy. Once you have a machine registered with them (using the domain
host information link on the domain info page), THEN you can set up DNS
services on that machine, THEN you can go back and register it as a DNS
server. When you tell their page that ns.devsea.com is to be a DNS
server for devsea.com, all they do is look to see if they have a host
record for the machine. You can't use a machine with a domain hosted
elsewhere (Earthlink, Speakeasy, etc). It apparently MUST be a host
record for a domain hosted at GoDaddy.

So it looks like I have figured out how to do this with out the extra
$20 advanced DNS zone-file editing fee. :)
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>