[ale] Bind newbie question

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Sep 17 23:55:23 EDT 2003

Ok, I've registered a new domain, but for the first time I'd like to run
my own dns server.

I have my name server set up locally...have configured the files correctly
and everything looks good from within my lan.

When I try to update my record with godaddy.com, it barfs if I try to
enter an ip address.

My domain is devsea.com, and my nameserver will eventually be called
ns.devsea.com.  So, how do I bootstrap with the root servers?  How can I
let the com root server know that devsea.com and ns.devsea.com should hit
my dsl line, without having to pay an intermediate DNS server somewhere a
long the way.

Sorry if I sound like I'm way out in left field...I am.  Never tried this
before ;-)

Thanks!
John