[ale] raid hardware

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Sep 17 23:52:29 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:23:51AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> So, I'm looking at purchasing a new box and was hoping to get input on
> the available raid hardware.  Monarch has the following:

> 3Ware Escalade 8506-4LP 4-port SATA RAID PCI
> 3Ware Escalade 8500-12 Serial ATA RAID
> 3Ware Escalade 8506-8 Serial ATA RAID
> High Point RocketRAID 1520 Dual Channel PCI to SATA RAID Controller
> Intel Serial ATA (SRCS14L) RAID Controller
A friend used a RAID card; I don't know which one.  The card went down
in flames and so did his data.  No backup, of course, because it's RAID.

I'm inclined to use software RAID unless you're looking for very
high performance.

> Anyone have any experience with any of these?  Any input would be
> appreciated.

> The latest, most widespread virus?  Microsoft end user agreement.
> Think about it...

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]