Simple steps Re: [ale] Another SSH Release?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 11:09:06 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 11:04, John Mills wrote:

> 5. Now start the new animal:
>  # cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
>  # ./sshd stop
>  # ./sshd start

WARNING: "Danger Will Robinson!"

I did something similar to this on a remote box yesterday, not knowing
that the sshd startup script had changed from "kill $PID" to "killall
$SSHD".  The prior had previously killed just the server daemon, the
later killed all running instances... including the one I was using at
the time.  The end result is that I now have an orphaned box out there
in the wild.  Looking on the bright side, it is no longer susceptible to
openssh bugs.  ;)

-Jim P.