[ale] raid hardware

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Sep 17 10:01:21 EDT 2003

I'll agree.  What are you looking at building?  We use some 3Ware cards
but we only use them for raw disk supply.  The servers in question have
16 100-160Gig drives which are combined using software RAID5 to provide
a butt-load of disk for my backup server for ONSITE backups.  The RAID5
implementation by 3ware was horrible when we tested it but supposedly is
better.  I've really grown to like the software raid though, it's
extremely stable, very low impact and very easy to manage.  The best
though is that it's hardware independent.  On my home file server my
SCSI card (Adaptec hardware raid) blew out.  I couldn't replace it with
an identical card (cant find them anymore) so the data was gone...

Thus spake Chris Ricker (kaboom at gatech.edu):