[ale] OSS CMS Software

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Mon Sep 15 15:45:59 EDT 2003

Jonathan Glass wrote:

> We're looking for some kind of content management system that runs on
> Apache2.  The purpose is to allow non-technical users to be able to
> maintain their own web pages, without having to learn HTML, SCP, or SSH.
> I'd prefer OSS, but if I have to go commercial, I'll consider it.
>
> Any thoughts/projects?
>
> The only really interesting site I've seen is Bricolage (bricolage.cc),
> but the web developer feels it is too oriented towards news sites.
>
> Thanks!
Take a look at Zope (http://zope.org/).  It lets an admin of a web site
divide the site up into pieces of the tree and assign sub-administrators
to those pieces.  It's written in Python so if you need to customize or
extend its features, you can.  There is a tutorial that gives you a good
flavor of its usage and features.  I installed it and ran the tutorial
on Linux in just a few hours.  Don't ask me any questions, 'cause I've
pretty much forgotten all I learned.  8)

Jim.