[ale] Upgrading to Apache 2 on RH 7.3

Howard Fore mylists at hofo.com
Mon Sep 15 13:50:46 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm attempting an upgrade to Apache 2.0.x from 1.3.27 on a Redhat 7.3
box. RH doesn't appear to offer an rpm for Apache 2 on 7.3. Normally
I'd just slap in the RH 9.1 CD and upgrade the installation but the 2
servers I'm working on are about 1600 miles away. So I downloaded the
Apache 2.0.40 rpm from RHN (and the various rpms to update the packages
it needed, and the updated packages the packages needed to update
needed, ad nauseum). Finally I had everything I needed in one directory
and typed in "rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm". And I get a "error: failed
dependencies" message and a long list telling me that package foo.1.rpm
(being replaced by a foo.2.rpm) is needed by program bar.

So what does this tell me? Is the dependency list mean that rpm
couldn't tell that a library currently installed would be replaced by a
newer version?

Or, is there a better way to accomplish this upgrade? Ideas?
Suggestions?

Howard Fore, mylists at hofo.com
"I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
sure you understand that what you've heard is not what I meant."
President Richard Nixon