[ale] Re: HP buys two new GVs

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Sep 15 13:44:28 EDT 2003

Mike,

While this may be just squandering money and I don't think much of HP or
Carly,
it could be legitimate and cost-effective.  As a long time pilot and
aircraft
owner (single-engine props), I can assure you that for someone whose
time is
valuable, that the time saved often can be well worth the cost of owning
and operating the aircraft.  With all of the false security nonsense
these
days, I save lots of time by flying myself and I have more flexibility
in times
and can land at an airport closer to where I want to be.

When HP sends over ten execs to Bangalore to see how their Indian
sweatshop is
doing, the GV probably is more cost-effective than the alternative of
first class
travel there.  Look at the numbers!

On the other hand, how about writing about how HP is one of the computer
companies
with the largest outsourcing program of programmers, SysAdmins, and
other computer
people to India?

At least HP chose to spend this money on a Georgia-based company.  I've
toured
their plant in Savannah.
--

Best regards,

Bob Toxen, CTO
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
bob at verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)

My talks on Linux security this year include:
  at IBM's Linux Competency Center in New York City     on March 06
  at the Atlanta SecureWorld Expo in Atlanta            on May   22
  at the Enterprise Linux Forum in Silicon Valley       on June  04
  at Computer Associates' Atlanta Linux Security Summit on Sep.  16

Author,
"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and
Recovery"
2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, (C) 2003, 848 pages, ISBN: 0130464562