{Spam?} [ale] (reasonably) mature GUI solutions in Linux

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 15 11:50:53 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 06:49:58AM -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Python is something I've thought about, but I'm unsure how immune to
> reverse engineering the pyc compiled files are.  Since he needs to
> distribute his apps to clients as closed-source apps (I know, I know. Hey,
> first I have to ween him from Microsoft...), I'm not sure python will fit
> the bill.  I've always assumed the compiled python files were really just
> for optimization and were pretty easy to reverse engineer...is this not
> the case?

Java is the same way.  I don't know about python, but there are tons of
decompilers for Java, both free and commercial.  There are even plugins
for most of the Java IDEs to decompile a .class file and open it as an
editable .java file in the editor.

There are obfuscators, of course, but they can only do so much.  The
bottom line is, it's not very difficult to get a .java file from a
.class file.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9