[ale] Linux replacements for some M$-based junk

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Mon Sep 15 00:37:31 EDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> I'll second the Win4Lin for the windows apps.
> If they want to replace the Access thing, it's been my experience that
> anything in Access can be recreated by a competent programmer with
> mysql/php or perl or java or other language in a short period of time, and
> it'll be aeons more reliable.

To give a dissenting opinion...if they have to launch a whole virtual
Windows to run one or both of these, is that really a good reason to move?
Seems to me you are recommending them to spend $xx for this win4lin
package so they can still run something they are currently runningwith no
additional cost.

As for the php/perl to replace an access app - I'm assuming you're talking
web based.  That really changes the whole way the app would work and
interact compared to an Access Form based app.  Java would be a much
better solution (plus you could pitch it as now being cross-platform :)