[ale] 100 vs 10 Mbit problem

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Sep 14 23:46:20 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 23:14, Dow Hurst wrote:

> PS. The machines with the 10Mbit interfaces are an old R8000 Power
> Indigo2 and an even older 4xR10K Onyx from 1993.  In fact, the SGI Onyx
> is the same one that was given away on the ALE list a couple of years
> ago.  We had it refurbished and it is running jobs all the time for us.
> Not the fastest machine but it works.

I have a dual 195 MHz R10k Octane with a dual GPU board. If you want to
see the raw horsepower of the MIPS chip, open up Blender. The full
screen is populated before the finger is off the mouse button! There is
absolutely no "squishy" feeling running heavy graphics computing on the
Octane.

There was recently a group on Ebay selling a pallet load of Octanes for
next to nothing ($125 each, total up to 10 or 12). These all had 195MHz
R10K, 1G ram, 9G HD. But they were in Australia!! Shipping was going to
be horrid!

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>