[ale] Document Imaging under Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Sep 14 23:39:50 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 23:16, John Wells wrote:
> James P. Kinney III said:
> > Save the images as a pdf unless you plan on trying OCR, then scan using
> > black and white and save as tiff.
>
> But there's no open source pdf tools that allow you to generate from
> scanned images, right?  Not complaining...just want to make sure.

Can't test right now as the scanner is not hooked up, but any image
format can be converted (mangled, mutilated, folded and spindled) by
imagemagik's convert command. The pstools collection does some amazing
things as well. Ghostscript is required for all of this to work.

> And OCR, in my experience, is completely unreliable.  Have things changed?

It still all really depends on the input document quality and font
style, perfect alignment of the page on the scanner, etc.