[ale] Exchange calendar replacement

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 13 14:52:56 EDT 2003

Steve Tynor wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
>
> | Steve Tynor wrote:
> | > Anyone have opinions about Outlook/Calendar alternatives?   Any other
> | > words of wisdom of things to watch out for in such a transition?
> | We just had this question about a week ago. The open source alternitives
> | are:
> |
> | http://www.opengroupware.org
> |
> | http://kolab.kde.org
> |
> | I know that Kolab can work with Exchange clients and I believe
> | OpenGroupware does as well. MAPI integration is another question,
> | though. I don't know what might replace that.
>
> Mmmm.  I gathered from that discussion, however, that both of these were
> still "beta"ish quality, and "large and difficult" to
> configure/install. I'm looking for something lightweight and easy to
> manage (the sendmail/POP/IMAP part I know how to deal with - I don't
> need a fancy integrated into one piece Exchange replacement -- was
> hoping to just do it the Unix way with one piece for each purpose.
>
> I'll review that discussion however. Perhaps I missed something that
> would justify the risk/pain.

If you're only interested in calendars, there is WebDAV:

http://www.webdav.org/

Several calendar clients interact with it, including Mozilla's. My
personal experience in installing Kolab is that it's not that difficult
(but my installation skills have a "beta-ish" quality). Building and
installing is less than a day's work. After that, you need to be sure
Postfix has a domain to work from, since it really requires DNS. You
would install and test before you actually implemented anything in any
case. Click around the Web sites amd see what you think. At any rate, if
you keep using Outlook, your users probably won't want to give up things
like group addressbooks and to-do's. So, maybe you do want the other
features.