[ale] OT: submit your own anti-trust complaint against Microsoft

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Fri Sep 12 20:13:26 EDT 2003

>Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:01:21 -0400
>From: Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu>
>Subject: Re: [ale] OT: submit your own anti-trust complaint against Microsoft
>
>Those who have commented here have put in a lot of time researching
>Microsoft so they are not just coming from nowhere with their comments.
>My advice is to do some research for yourself on Microsoft as was
>suggested and then come back to the discussion table.  I was interested
>in finding out that the EULA for a security patch gave invasive rights
>to MS.  Good luck,
>Dow

Is there any way to view the EULAs for MS' patches post-install?

IIRC the major DRM-scan was part of an updated Media Player (?)
It would appear by this subject-thread that the *patch*-scan
(Windows Update) is now scanning for things quite unrelated to
the patching/OS-maintenance at hand.  I noticed what appeared to
be a new Windows Update OCX being installed when updating Win2k
a few days ago to counter the Blaster/RPC worms & it would come
as no surprise to me that this is what is doing the new more
aggressive scanning.

This apparently being the case, does anyone know what areas
(drives/paths) are being scanned & for what kinds of things
other than OS files?  Are there any ways to "box in" or
circumvent this?

I read that MS relaxed this with SP4 for Win2k; I'd speculate
that this was in response to complaints from customers/sectors
where this behavior poses legal problems and was/is about to
cost MS some business.  Where does this leave users now?
(I'm thinking of the likes of HIPAA regulations.)

Thanks,

-kc