[ale] [OT] Worst Windows UI Annoyance (was: M$ patches and security advice?)

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 07:11:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:20:32 -0400
"Frank Zamenski" <fzamenski at voyager.net> wrote:

> eXtra Poo does now, it encourages you with this damn annoying info
> ballon you see on your lower-right desktop shortly after logging in
> (which you can NOT disable) to set up auto-update. It is said that by

You have to trick it.  Click on it like you want to set up auto-update, but then you select the option to never use auto-update on this computer.

It's annoying, but not the worst.  The worst thing is XP's accessibility options.  I activated StickyKeys by accident many times, and once it's on it doesn't turn off correctly; you have to reboot.  The extra stupid thing is that unchecking the "Use StickyKeys" box in the Accessibility capplet does not disable it.  You have to go into "advanced" or whatever and unselect "Use Shortcut".

Yes, I still use XP for games.  Appropriate for the toy OS that it is.

Krum