[ale] OT: submit your own anti-trust complaint against Microsoft

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Sep 12 06:26:28 EDT 2003

Troll??

synco gibraldter wrote:
> i've been thinking about this for a while -- maybe i'm dumb or maybe
> it's the beer but i don't think i quite understand what microsoft is
> doing that would necessitate my complaing or participating in a suit
> against them.  why should i complain?

So you don't mind buying a computer with a pre-installed OS that you
won't use?  You don't mind that fact that their lack of security in
their systems has permitted worms and viri to take over the internet?

It's okay if they buy their way into university systems and public
school, poisoning children's views of what a stable, useful computer
environment should look like?

You have to look at the history of things.  Where would computing be now
if Microsoft did not have total control of this business?  How much more
advanced would it be?

> obviously most linux users are going to support the open source
> community (and believe me i do... remember the opera post i made that
> got me ragged on for a seemingly endless thread?) and believe that
> open source software is the best way to go.  despite those views, i
> really have a lot of respect for what microsoft has built.  i don't
> see how they are closing the market to others [except for the fact
> that they make many full-featured user friendly applications that few
> companies can compete with

Companies can not compete with an embedded monopoly.  You're kidding
yourself if you think Microsoft has the corner on innovation.  There
operating systems suck. Don't tell me how great XP and 2000 are.  How
long has it taken them to get that far?  And they still crash, lock up,
and puke.  Are you looking forward to DMCA controlled Microsoft
documents?  That's next folks.  You won't be able to open a Microsoft
document with a non-microsoft product without breaking the law.  You
think I'm kidding, do the research for your self.

> can anyone explain to me [in terms of ethics please; i don't need no
> stinking legal references] how microsoft is doing anything wrong?

As I noted earlier.  It is still quite difficult, not impossible, but
quite difficult to purchase a computer that does not have Microsoft OS.
  Laptops are even worse.

EULAs that permit them to access your computer at there will?  The
recent windows media player update that gave them permission to remove
files THEY determined were pirated (RIAA).

The problem is that they've been doing it so long, people just think
it's okay.  If you were to put Microsoft into any other business, there
practices would be completely unacceptable.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...