[ale] OT: what about the free and open work market?

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 11 18:57:28 EDT 2003

Mazukna, Thomas wrote:
> There is no such thing as global market.
> Each country is trying to protect its markets, labor included.
> US is no different, no one can come and just get a job in US, but their is H1-B and similar.
> Same for India, just their companies have no need to create H1-B program.
>
> market consolidation is a big scare with European Union, since eastern countries joining EU will bring cheap labor.....

And this is working out in some surprising ways. Just today, I read that
Romania is starting to steal outsourcing business from the Indians.
Seems the Romanians will work even cheaper. Here is the link:

http://news.com.com/2100-1011_3-5074725.html

Freshly graduated programmers in Romania are getting $6500 a year! I
know that companies will seek out the cheapest labor, but it's amazing
how fast this market is whipsawing around.