[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Thu Sep 11 12:04:30 EDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 10:18 am, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> Anybody have any Windows-specific advice to give me to pass on to these
> folks?  I need to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make sure they
> have resources they need.  My security talks don't focus on technology per
> se, but are more an overview of how to be paranoid.

That's wise, since we all know by now that they really ARE out to get us:)

I suspect your most difficult task will be motivating these folks to actually
_do_ something about security- and the best way to do that is to stress the
actual peril they are putting themselves into by using unprotected Windows.

See, for example, RIAA lawsuits against grandpas for what might loosely be
called "music", downloaded by their grandkids.
Or the prospects of what can happen because some spammer has taken
over their pc to send out millions of porn e-mails...
Or all the helpful programs you can download that pop up kitty porn sites
without warning. Or steal their credit card numbers, etc.

My personal experience is that most people will not be willing or able to keep
up with all the necessary steps required to secure a Windows pc. Those who
can't should be encouraged to buy a Mac.

You can suggest that people read the grc.com newsgroups
(some useful info here, along with a healthful dose of paranoia).

grc.privacy
grc.spyware
grc.spam

Of course, ZoneAlarm and a _up to date_ virus scan program are musts.
ZA will notify you when various programs try to "phone home", and also if
some virus is trying to mail tons of stuff out.

Unfortunately, almost everyone I know says they have an anti-virus program,
but when I look, it's often years out of date.  And most have never installed,
or have turned off, their firewall software.

Like I said, motivating people is going to be the hardest part.
Good luck!

Irv