[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Thu Sep 11 10:12:05 EDT 2003

1.    They do have a site/service called Windows Update.  It is
generally a little slow, but overall it's performance is pretty decent.
I use it and recommend it to my clients who use Windows.  At this point
there is nothing better.  They also now have (w/2003) a
user-maintainable version for local installation.  This would supposedly
support a single download server that would update your corporate
machines.

2.    I also recommend that every Windows client machine have installed
locally both a virus scanner and a personal firewall product.
Unfortunately I find that both layers are necessary.  My wife's machine
runs XP Home.  Most of the time the Virus Scanner will catch and contain
the viruses, but occasionally we'll notice the personal firewall has
popped up with a message to the effect of "You're viral and you're
trying to broadcast it.  Do you want to continue?"  Also unfortunately,
these two things REALLY slow the PC down.  We use McAffeee.  I usually
sell clients Symantec.  Keep these updated using whatever tool comes
with them.

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 10:18, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> I don't actually use Windows, nor have I for...4 years now? (wow, it's
> like an AA meeting...)
>
> But I've been asked to give a security talk to our 62+ computer class
> (basically, how to use a computer for anyone over 62 years old) and of
> course they learn Windows.  So since there's lots of multi platform people
> on ALE -- where do you go to get Windows patches?  Is there anyplace
> *other* than the apparently overloaded microsoft site to obtain them?  Is
> it an automagic patchy thing where they <shudder> scan your machine over
> the web to determine what you need and then deliver it?
>
> Anybody have any Windows-specific advice to give me to pass on to these
> folks?  I need to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make sure they
> have resources they need.  My security talks don't focus on technology per
> se, but are more an overview of how to be paranoid.  But I do want to give
> them some Windows specific stuff that they can follow up on.
>
> Many thanks, and I apologize for asking MS questions here...I just am
> totally, utterly clueless when it comes to Windows.  Ignorance is bliss,
> as they say.
>
> jenn

Best regards,

Matthew Brown