[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Thu Sep 11 09:54:39 EDT 2003

I don't actually use Windows, nor have I for...4 years now? (wow, it's
like an AA meeting...)

But I've been asked to give a security talk to our 62+ computer class
(basically, how to use a computer for anyone over 62 years old) and of
course they learn Windows.  So since there's lots of multi platform people
on ALE -- where do you go to get Windows patches?  Is there anyplace
*other* than the apparently overloaded microsoft site to obtain them?  Is
it an automagic patchy thing where they <shudder> scan your machine over
the web to determine what you need and then deliver it?

Anybody have any Windows-specific advice to give me to pass on to these
folks?  I need to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make sure they
have resources they need.  My security talks don't focus on technology per
se, but are more an overview of how to be paranoid.  But I do want to give
them some Windows specific stuff that they can follow up on.

Many thanks, and I apologize for asking MS questions here...I just am
totally, utterly clueless when it comes to Windows.  Ignorance is bliss,
as they say.

jenn