OT: Re: [ale] Social FUD: was -> politics, KDE

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Thu Sep 11 07:46:29 EDT 2003

Actually, Bop, that was excellent.  I agree with you 100% here.

I think the hits we see thrown at each otehr all the time are overly
simplistic.  They usually don't even bear directly on the subject at
hand.  Then, add to that the fact that none of us actually have the full
details on any given story, and you have a bunch of people fighting over
incorrect and misleading information.  We'd do well to stick to what we
have in common and what we KNOW to be true.  This would exclude anything
heard or read from any news outlet -- that's all rumors, third, fourth,
and fifth hand.

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 00:48, Ronald Chmara wrote:

> Ya know, if political ignorance, and technical ignorance, were treated
> in the *same* way on this list, it might be a different list.
>
> We can joke about distro wars, and yet, folks seem genuinely angry
> about US vs uruk, Democrats vs. Republicans, etc.
>
> (I had to stop myself earlier, when I, as a registered libertarian who
> often votes for greens, sought to remind folks that there are not only
> *two* ways of thinking...)
>
> We all know what FUD is, I hope. Maybe when the list strays, we can
> stop sloganizing our vendors, distros, nations, ideologies... and
> express ourselves through useful work to others.
>
> I work a bit with PHP, which, as you may or may not know, has *massive*
> braintrust in israel. We all ignore the politics, as the work is
> greater than bombings, governments-of-the-day, or social campaigning.
> PHP has made a larger impact, I think, than jingoism, under any of the
> flags of the 21st century.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> -Bop
> Ronald Chmara
> Ronin Professional Consulting LLC
> 678-530-9542
> "The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
> than the question of whether a submarine can swim." ---Dijkstra

Best regards,

Matthew Brown
CorData, Inc.
Office:	770-795-0089