[ale] IBM DeskStar 40/60/80GB

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 19:23:49 EDT 2003

Thought I'd mention this in light of the recent discussion about bad sectors.  My 60GB IBM DeskStar has developed the "Click Of Death" these drives are notorious for.  Somebody recenly posted a link to a firmware update that IBM says should correct the problem.  Well, mine already had the latest firmware and it still failed.  I think this is one time when you might get fired for buying IBM...

I got a new 80GB Seagate Barracuda.  Hopefully this will be the last time I have to do the OS reloading thing for a while.

Krum