[ale] Remote connections - VNC?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 10 16:13:26 EDT 2003

Hey all,

	I have been playing with VNC to connect to my Linux PC from my Windows PC.
This is internal - across a LAN. If I were to connect to a remote office,
would VNC (or Tight VNC) be the way to go, or is there a more secure
alternative?

	The general idea was to set up a "bounce" box at a remote location, a
dedicated VNC server, and from there - establish a second VNC session to open
a session with various desktops for trouble-shooting. That way I'd only open
up one address through a firewall, but still be able to manage multiple PCs.

	I realize there would be a security risk on the one desktop, allowing hackers
into the network. Have you guys found it to be a manageable risk, or would
you use a different toolset for remote desktop management?

Bruce