[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Sep 3 13:35:02 EDT 2003

I took advantage of the tax free weekend a few weeks ago to buy my wife a
new computer.  She's been using a Power Mac clone from around 1994, or so.
It was a nice system back then, but it needed replacing.

I set her up with KDE on Mandrake because I relly like it.  I wrote earlier
that I've just never gotten along with GNOME, but KDE and I think alike
(and, no, I've never been a Windows user so it can't be that I am used to
Windows).

Watching Marti strugle with KDE has convinced me that Konqueror has some
big holes as a file browser--especially to someone used to a Mac.  Most of
her problems should be easy to fix, but it requires someone on the KDE
team to think the features would be valuable.

I switched her over to GNOME and Nautilus and now she is much happier.  So
we have another vote for GNOME.

In case you care, here is what Konqueror gets wrong and Nautilus gets
right: Both programs show you all files and folders in the icon view in
some sorted order.  You can move an icon to another place in the display
and it will stay there.  With Nautilus, the next time the folder displays
that icon will be where you moved it, but with Konqueror it will not.
Nautilus also remembers the size of the window so you can arrange your
icons and the window size to only show the ones you can about the most.
Konqueor doesn't seem to retain any of this info.

Since I don't tend to use the icon view at all, this never bothered me, but
I have to agree with her that Konqueror is broken in this way.

Michael