[ale] KDE vs Gnome- personal impressions

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 1 23:54:58 EDT 2003

The other night I downloaded Dropline Gnome, and while I was pleased to
see that Ximian wasn't broken anymore, I was disappointed with the
performace of the desktop overall.

The last release of Gnome, which included the option to turn off
Nautilus, was much more responsive and quick (when you used the option
to turn off Nautilus).  However, this release is slower than Win2K
running litestep, and *much* slower than KDE.

I'm running a PIII 600, with 261M of ram, a 120G HD, and an Nvidia G2
card with 64M video-ram.

While I'm glad to have Evolution back- it's a much better personal
organizer and mail/news client than the unintegrated components which
are part of the default KDE distribution- easier to configure filters,
etc.  I don't think I'll be running the desktop enviroment itself.  It's
sluggish starting apps, sluggish working with the windows, and switching
workspaces is an ordeal,

Thus, my final opinion is that while I welcome the updated gnome apps
(many of which are still much better than their KDE counterparts) I
won't be running the desktop enviroment itself- on this machine, at any
rate.

Perhaps with a Gigahertz or better processor, a G4 or Raedon card with
128MB of VRAM, and 512M of RAM might make it's performance bearable
(IOW's your mileage may vary), but until I get around to putting
together such a system, KDE is going to be my default desktop...

My two cents, for what it's worth.